Wednesday 7 September 2011

Letter home

Dear mum and Dad,
In your past letter to me you ask how i was doing. Well if it was just a few more then 12 months ago I could have told you that everything was fine and I was enjoying serving my country. Fighting at Gallipoli was very tough yet rewarding and I feel that I have grown as a person becoming more brave and courageous. But now, today I am face with this question and i tell you that I would give anything and everything to be back at home with you.
Have a told you that I was awarded Australia’s first Victoria Cross?  Just over three weeks after arriving in Gallipoli the Turks launched a large-scale frontal assault at us and a small section of Trench at Courtney’s post was captured. All attempts to drive them out failed until I took advantage of a diversion created by bomb throwers and leapt in, killing most of the occupants. I was then left to hold the trench alone for the remainder of the cold gloomy night but was then awarded the next morning.
Every day I fight alongside my fellow soldiers, the 14th battalion, and I have made strong bonds with many of them. But again and again I see them die before my eyes, shot and killed in the front line. All of them were so young and brave, their lives taken away from them. They are people I will truly never forget.
At this very moment, as I am writing this letter I am recovering from a bullet womb from being shot by a sniper. I came about this as I was freeing a group of recently captured Australians and forcing the surrender of around fifty Germans. Please do not worry about me as I am fine and are on my way to recovery and will be returning to the front soon.
I know that you are very proud of me and miss me as much as I miss you all. I promise you that I will hold strong and stay alive, then before you know it I will be back at home. But until this is time, stay safe and know that you are in my thoughts.
Sincerely
Albert

No comments:

Post a Comment